Missed World Book Day

Various bloggers have posted on World Book Day although it wasn't today until I noticed the Sicilian Notes post on the subject - obviously not paying attention since many others mentioned too!

Both Nicole and I are "bookish" and some painful decisions had to be made when I moved to Canada - and even after that a good two or three shelves of books remain back home to be transported in the luggage of various family members when space permits. Some tastes we share (J.K Rowling, Roddy Doyle, John B. Keane) some we don't (she reads Frank McCourt, I read P.J. O'Rourke). We started our relationship buying each other books - she bought Scott Russell's Ice Time for me, I bought Aaron Sorkin's West Wing Script Book for her. We had a lot of time apart to read them in the beginning.

Like Fiona I expect eventually I'll end up owning a library with attached living quarters.

Vibes and Scribes just north of Patrick's Bridge in Cork was a frequent stop for me in assembling my collection, not least because it lay between my apartment and the city centre. It also played a role in disassembling it, since that was where I sold many of them back to when thinning out my stock. I couldn't kid myself that after 10 years I was going to actually use my Industrial Chemistry books again and there was no second hand value so I donated them to the University of Limerick library while on a visit to my alma mater - even older books can be a help as I knew when I was an undergrad on a budget. I'm a sucker for knowing how it ends which is how I ended up with the entire Jack Aubrey saga by Patrick O'Brian - 18 books in all I think.

On my bedside at present is Red Mars by Kim Stanley Robinson. (I like his UK editions better just because the artwork is nicer than the North American ones :)

On deck for when I've finished it is Under a Sickle Moon about which I wrote recently and which reminded me that it's been a long time since I last read it.

Comments

Emma in Canada said…
Aren't you lucky to have a partner who likes to read. Mine hates it while I gladly sacrifice housework to read a good book. Or a bad one. I'm not fussy.

But I had no idea today was world book day. This had better be a new thing as I worked in a bookstore for a good 10 years and don't remember this day at all.
dunner74 said…
I am contemplating heading back to Ireland and was looking at all the stuff I have accumulated over the last 5 years.....and I am shocked at the amount of books I have again!!! I have a whole wardrobe (from top to bottom) full back in Dublin and now I have what looks like another one ready to go.

Shite Shite Shite!!!

But really I love them all.
dunner74 said…
Mark is it possible for you to email me, I have a query regarding a book and would like your help.

Thanks

Popular posts from this blog

What is the virtue of a proportional response?

"Your request could not be completed. Please try again in a few minutes."

Remote Desktop Connection Manager - a boon for admins