Adobe Reader 8 - worth the upgrade?

I just upgraded to Reader 8 to solve this security advisory but it seems to perform a bit less than an asthmatic slug compared to versions 6 and 7 too so that's a bonus. For some reason the new logo reminds me of AutoCAD but Autodesk seem to have moved on to blues and greens these days.

Here's the link from adobe.com to the dynamic installer but if you're a sysadm you'll prefer the static installer which Adobe hide away in their FTP site. You may also want to check out this advisory regarding the Adobe Download Manager in case it applies to you.

Comments

Saskboy said…
Oh gosh. I'm tempted to put everything back to speedy 5 or 4, and if it gets a virus from it, blame the user ;-)

The number of "patches" for 7 made me mad. They waited until about version 7.05 before giving a completely new installer, or decent update, so that I instead had to patch to 7.01, then 7.02, and then 7.03 or some such nonsense. Completely frustrating, Adobe.
Mark Dowling said…
I hear ya :) That used to be the case in 6.0 too.

A lot of people I know use other PDF readers which are lighter - maybe Adobe is getting the message.

I like that they seem to be opening up Flash a bit - looking forward to Firefox handling Flash more natively rather than through a plug-in.

Also - I recently changed Firefox to launch Acrobat externally for PDF links rather than use the inline plug-in. I'm concerned about memory management especially since AcroRd32.exe doesn't seem to die sometimes when you close that PDF.

Popular posts from this blog

What is the virtue of a proportional response?

"Your request could not be completed. Please try again in a few minutes."

Remote Desktop Connection Manager - a boon for admins