Was Brian Burke asleep for a month?

This seems like a portrait of blind-sided outrage, right?
Burke said he wasn't actually angry at the offer sheet, but rather the amount of money offered – Penner will go from making $450,000 a season to $4.25 million a year.

"I have no problem with offer sheets, they are part of the CBA," Burke said. "I think it's a tool certainly a team is entitled to use. My issue here is this is the second time this year in my opinion Edmonton have offered a grossly inflated salary for a player, and it impacts on all 30 teams and I think it's an act of desperation by a general manager who is fighting to keep his job."

The way it all came down also bothered Burke.

"I was not notified of this until an agent faxed it into us," he said. "I thought Kevin would have called me and told me it was coming. I thought that was gutless."
I mean, if someone had told him it was coming, he could have negotiated a new contract with Penner and avoided this unpleasantness. Someone like this guy:
Now, will Burke have to deal with an offer sheet for Dustin Penner? [July 3]
or maybe this guy:
If I was Kevin Lowe, I would sign Anaheim's Dustin Penner to a mammoth offer sheet. Brian Burke doesn't have the cap room to match. Burke would drop "F-bombs" from Ft. McMurray to Redondo Beach. Screw him. If Lowe thinks it would make the Oilers a better team; when then, let's be doing it. [July 7]
Well maybe he wasn't monitoring the Sportsnet or CBC but surely the Edmonton media, right?
A restricted free agent in the average salary range just below $4.9 million a year costs two first round, a second round and a third round choice. And they have to be your own picks. The others were in place.

Look out cap-heavy New Jersey and 31-goal scorer Zach Parise? Heads up cap-heavy Anaheim and 29-goal-scorer Dustin Penner? Look out budget-poor St. Louis and 27-goal-scorer Lee Stempniak? [July 7]

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What is the virtue of a proportional response?

"Your request could not be completed. Please try again in a few minutes."

Remote Desktop Connection Manager - a boon for admins