Microsoft Word Recover Unsaved Documents does not point where you expect when manually retrieving an ASD file.

This afternoon I helped someone recover an unsaved document from an .ASD file after a crash which did not trigger the usual file recovery pane. While the File/Options/Save dialog pointed to %appdata%\Microsoft\Word, File, Open, Recent, Recover Unsaved Documents points to %localappdata%\Microsoft\Office\UnsavedFiles

After copying the .ASD file into the latter (UnsavedFiles) folder, I was able to successfully open the .ASD file, save it to a DOCX and turn it over to the person I was helping.

The person I was helping was using Word 2010 but I had the .ASD emailed to me, and did the recovery in Office 365 v1904, as I didn't have control of their machine.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What is the virtue of a proportional response?

"Your request could not be completed. Please try again in a few minutes."

Remote Desktop Connection Manager - a boon for admins